Significant rain and widespread flooding
The Bureau of Meteorology have issued key messages regarding significant rain and widespread flooding for the north and north west of Tasmania:
- Rain is likely state-wide during Thursday, clearing away Friday morning, however the focus of the most significant rain will be in northern areas.
- Rainfall is expected to be steady and relentless, leading to significant accumulations over 24-36 hour periods.
- A Severe Weather Warning will likely be issued for this event later this afternoon for the potential for heavy rain, and also possible damaging northeasterly wind gusts to around 90 km/h about the east coasts and northeast coast.
- Rainfall for the 36 hour period to 5am Friday:
- Widespread falls of 50-90mm across the northern half of the state, with falls of 180-220 possible about higher ground in the northwest and northeast.
Please see the attached Key Messages Tasmania for more information.
The BOM has also issued the following warnings
- Flood Summary Tasmania http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT20600.html
- Initial Flood Watch for North West, North and North East, and Derwent catchments http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT20625.html
Warnings are updated as required at: www.bom.gov.au/tas/warnings/