New Exercise program targets chronic conditions in Tasmania’s North West
North West Tasmanians (including King Islanders) living with chronic health conditions now have access to a FREE Government funded program targeting older adults living in North West Tasmania. The Exercise Treatment Program is a strength-based exercise program designed to boost their quality of life.
As part of the Exercise Treatment Program, eligible participants will be guided through individually tailored exercises at weekly sessions, as well as have access to healthy living advice in a safe, non-judgmental environment.
The education sessions – covering topics such as how to prevent falls, tackling sedentary habits and staying motivated to pursue your goals – will be delivered in an informal manner, with simple ‘take home’ messages.
The program has been developed to support the prevention and management of chronic health conditions such as:
- neuro-degenerative disease
- cardiovascular disease
- pulmonary conditions
- diabetes (including type 1 and type 2)
- depression and other mental health conditions
- muscular and/or skeletal conditions.
The program is for people living in the north west region of Tasmania who are:
- aged 60 and over, or
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 45 and over
The program is available in the following nine local government areas in north west Tasmania as well as via video/telehealth:
- Central Coast
- Circular Head
- King Island
- West Coast.
Referrals into the program must come from either:
- community and primary healthcare providers (including GPs, nurses and allied health professionals)
- north west region hospital allied health providers and specialists (North West Regional Hospital, Mersey Community Hospital, Smithton District Hospital, King Island District hospital and West Coast District Hospital)
- private specialists.
The website www.exercisetreatmentprogram.com.au has more information for participants and health professionals, plus an online referral form for health professionals to use.
Any enquiries can be sent to the Healthy Business Performance Group Email: email@example.com or 1300 655 530
This program is funded by the Australian Government through Primary Health Tasmania (Tasmania PHN), and delivery locally by the HBP Group.