Council elections are held every four years and all Councillors, Mayors and Deputy Mayors are elected for four-year terms.
Elections are usually held in October of each election year, with the next local government elections due in October 2018.
The Tasmanian Electoral Commission is responsible for supervising Local Government elections and appoints returning officers to run the election.
Council elections are conducted by postal ballot.
There is a polling period of at least ten days (excluding weekends and bank holiday’s).
If you are currently on the State Electoral Roll for your address in the King Island Municipal Area, you are automatically on the Local Government Roll.
To check your enrolment on the Electoral Roll please visit the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website at www.aec.gov.au and click on the “Check Enrolment” button. An enrolment form can also be obtained from their website, from any post office or by calling the AEC on 132 326.
You are also eligible to enrol on the “General Manager’s Roll” if you:
- Own land within the municipal area, but you do not live in the area and are registered on the State Electoral Roll at the address outside of the area, or
- Occupy land within the municipal area, but are not eligible to be on the State roll for the area –
Enrolment Form (General Manager’s Roll – Individual) or
- Are the nominated representative of a corporate body that owns or occupies land on King Island – Enrolment Form (General Manager’s Roll – Corporate)
- If you are considering becoming a candidate in Local Government Elections, the Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT) provides useful information.
- The Tasmanian Electoral Commission (TEC) also provides extensive information for prospective candidates
2018 ELECTION CALENDAR
|Saturday 8 September||Notice of Election|
|9:00 am||Monday 10 September||Nominations Open|
|6:00 pm||Thursday 13 September||Rolls Close|
|12 noon||Monday 24 September||Nominations Close|
|12 noon||Tuesday 25 September||Announcement of Nominations|
|10:00 am||Tuesday 30 October||Close of Polling|